Monday, April 11, 2011

Long Engagement = no bueno!

So Ian and I had talked about when we should get engaged. We figured conference weekend would be a good time. We'd have been "dating" for 6 months and we'd only have a 4 month engagement.
Little did I know that He would cave to the social pressure of the never ending question, "When are you getting engaged?" So on my birthday a little more than a month before we planned it, he proposed. What was I supposed to say? Sorry, you'll have to try back at a later date?
Every once in a while I'll turn to him and say, you know this extended period of waiting is all you fault! (with a big grin on my face - teasingly) Though I must admit, it's a lot harder when you actually have that ring. You have to seriously start planning things and keep your head away from the idea of being married already. School has been doing an excellent job of keeping us busy. And this summer we'll both be getting a night job as well to help pay for everything. But I find it actually easier to not spend time with him. It's too tempting.
In our Preparing for an Eternal Marriage class, which by the way I really recommend to people, our teacher presented an idea we're going to try. (Well, we're planning on doing.) No kissing a whole month before the wedding. Thus less temptation! Hopefully we can do it. Laugh all you want, but we'll do it!
Well, I have two tests tomorrow and I need to study. Have fun!

1 comment:

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

See my wife and I were engaged two weeks after meeting, married two months after that and pregnant two months after that. i agree long engagements are tough and as long as you keep your boundaries and don't push them things will be wonderful!! Great goal (I will have to think about how I feel about it :)