Monday, July 23, 2012

Hating My Job

I work at a call center in my little college town. Truthfully, the job isn't terrible. But there are certain aspects which have been annoying me. This annoyance has only been increasing. Being a  member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) I firmly believe that in order to keep the Sabbath holy, one should avoid working (for a wage. Of course this does not include charitable works. How better to worship the Lord than through service, right?)
Anyway, my job has only given me one Sunday off in the past two months! I'm tired of not being able to go to my own church/ward. It's annoying and people start wondering if you've become inactive. That and my hubby misses going with me. And I likewise miss going with him.
Another annoyance is their sales policy. When I was hired their policy was that we offer billing help and tech support. If we happened to get sales, great for us we get a bonus on our check! Then it changed to an attitude of, 'They can get 40 sales in a month, why can't you.' And now we have a minimum number of sales per month that we're allowed to scrape by with. I an no sales person. If someone wants something, then I can definitely help them add it to their account, but I don't feel that t.v., home phone, and internet are needs. They are wants. Expensive wants at that.  I also don't feel like I can sell something to a person with crappy service. "I know your services haven't been working for a week, but why not add a home telephone line for just $19.99 a month!" Nope. Can't do it.
Today I got a verbal warning because I'm not selling enough. Yup. I'm in trouble because I don't offer crappy service to people. (Especially in Texas.)  My boss is an awesome person and I know she is only doing her job, but she politely pointed out that I have one month to get four sales before getting a written warning, then who knows how long after that before I'm termed. Yippee skippy. I've never done badly at a job. Never. This is a first. A new low for Jessica.
Not only am I stressed about helping my hubby find a job after the same call center fired him four months ago, but now I have to worry about losing my job too. 
I didn't tell my boss that I'm putting in applications elsewhere. I actually think they prefer people quit on the day they plan on leaving. Then they can avoid people with bad attitudes messing with their systems and what have you. *sigh* 
Pray I'll find something better!

No comments: